Thursday 29 August 2013

Welcome to the world of Morphing

It's always exciting, but also a bit daunting, starting a new blog!  A blank canvas - where to start?!  I've got one already, following my training for the Berlin Marathon, but this is something very different.  For a start, it's almost entirely fictional!  It's based on the Animorphs books series by KAA Applegate that I used to love as a teenager, and whilst at Uni I wrote a few fan fiction stories about it.  I also kept quite a popular fan art gallery on Deviant Art.  But that was all "back in the day" and as time went by, new hobbies, working full time and way too many social media sites to keep track of (Facebook, Twitter, email, various forums and club message boards etc etc) I did drift away from Animorphs and the fan world.

I'll say it now, if Animorphs doesn't mean much to you, my blog may not mean much either!  But if you were/are still a fan, hope you'll find this fun!

I miss the days, feels very odd to think I was about 12 when the books came out, and every month I'd spend my pocket money (and later part time job money) on the latest release.  I was a huge Harry Potter fan too, but Animorphs was always my favourite.  Reminiscing, the books reflected teenage life in the 1990s, and many of us feel like we grew up along side Jake, Marco, Cassie, Rachel, Tobias and Ax.  I recently re-read #16, The Warning, where the Animorphs come across a chat room talking about the Yeerks, and laughed at how basic the internet site was shown to be.  Do we even have chat rooms like that nowadays - or are mostly shut down to keep online predators away from younger children?!  And no mobile phones either... wow, we actually went out and did stuff.  I'm sure if Animorphs was set nowadays they'd try to fight the Yeerks by sending tweets and creating Facebook pages!

So, this will be my only "genuine" post of this blog.  From now on it will all be fictional (although this isn't an anonymous blog so my name and home town will still be mentioned).  The blog takes place in the present day, a decade after the Animorphs won the fight.  Morphing is now a sport, and there are many of us who train and compete in it.  In my blog I am a morpher, who gained the ability whilst at University 10 years ago and am now an Estreen - someone who creates art and dance out of morphing.  My morphing journeys will reflect my real-life marathon and triathlon training (long runs and cycle rides become mornings spent flying as birds, and swimming sessions become playing as dolphins in the sea), and I'll be sharing many of my old fan art once more!  Enjoy!

Below - a white tiger morph from August 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment